Follow by Email

Thursday, August 6, 2015

REVIEW~ Sutphin Boulevard by Santino Hassell

Although we didn't get onto the blog tour, Sonny was super awesome and let us Sisters read his book anyways. It was super generous of him, and if we didn't already love him ((which we do)) we most certainly do now, and with a new found respect. It warms our hearts, truly, when authors are so humble, and Sonny is a one among them. It makes the read just that much more special. 

Ok, now that we have bled our love and fan-girled all over y'all, here is what we thought of Sutphin Blvd

Michael Rodriguez and Nunzio Medici have been friends for two decades. From escaping their dysfunctional families in the working-class neighborhood of South Jamaica, Queens to teaching in one of the city’s most queer friendly schools in Brooklyn, the two men have shared everything. Or so they thought until a sweltering night of dancing leads to an unexpected encounter that forever changes their friendship.

Now, casual touches and lingering looks are packed with sexual tension, and Michael can’t forget the feel of his best friend’s hands on him. Once problems rear up at work and home, Michael finds himself seeking constant escape in the effortless intimacy and mind-blowing sex he has with Nunzio. But things don’t stay easy for long.

When Michael’s world begins to crumble in a sea of tragedy and complications, he knows he has to make a choice: find solace in a path of self-destruction or accept the love of the man who has been by his side for twenty years.






This book is very raw
The story was equal parts hot and heavy to angsty and sad. 
I love a broken boy who needs to be fixed. I also loved the best friends to lovers aspect of it. 

Nunzio and Mikey have been friends for over 20 years, and it takes 2 decades and tons of heartache for Mikey to realize what's been in front of him the whole time.
 I'm not sure how Nunzio held on that long, keeping it quiet as long as he did, he's a better man than I, oh, wait....

There were some major downs and a lot of misunderstandings in this story. I can't even tell you how often I had tears in my eyes, or how much I wanted to shake them when things didn't go the way I wanted them to (lol)!! It was so flawed and so beautiful at the same time, just like real human nature. Did I mention a Puerto Rican and a Sicilian?? No? Well, I should have, because holy hot and spicy!! *fans self*




I think Santino did an awesome, awesome job on his first contemporary book. 
If you've read ICos, you know it has that underlining "darnkness" or "grit", you can feel that in this book still. I thought it was beautifully written and the characters are well developed. Nunzio and Mikey are high on my list. I also may have a major case of penis envy right now. 

In the end, I wanted to see more of their relationship as it grows as a couple, but all good things must end. Hopefully we get to see more of them in Sunset Park, the debut of David and Raymond.
Did i say I was excited for book 2?

cuz I am! :p

All and all, I give this a 4.5 stars
***Given as an ARC for my honest review***


BUY LINKS HERE


You can catch the actual tours here:

Blog tour deets - starting 7/30

July 30
Diverse Reader – Exclusive Excerpt
July 31
Jessewave – Interview with LenaLena (submit questions here!)
The Novel Approach – “Is it ever ‘just sex’?” (Guest Post)
August 1
Binge on Books – Deleted scene (with sexy times!)
August 2
Santino’s Blog – “Sex, Love, and Skyscraper Dreams”
August 3
Sinfully… – “Sexual Chemistry” (Excerpt + Guest Post)
August 4
Joyfully Jay – Behind the Sutphin Boulevard scenes! (Guest Post)
August 5
Purple Rose Tea House – Character Interview (hosted by Charlie Cochet)
August 6
Love Bytes – “Running From Love” (Guest Post)
August 7
Romance Novels in Color – Fun Q&A + Excerpt
Prism Book Alliance – Interview with Alexis Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment